Hoya hoya: Looking at life anew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Building "character"

Our coaches, Randy and Rob, have devised a 3 stage training schedule where we build up strength and speed before tapering. The first part of the program consisted of hills to build strength and "character" - that's how you know it is NOT going to be fun. We started with 5 hill repeats and built up to 9. Keep in mind that this was in the middle of July! Tonight we finished 9 x 800m, the last speed workout before the long-awaited taper. As we were rounding the last lap in the dying light of the beautiful autumn day, I must say I did get a bit of the "runner's high."

I can't believe the marathon is only a couple weeks away! Randy told me last year that some people feel a bit depressed after the euphoria of finishing. At first, I scoffed at the idea - no more insanely long runs, early Sundays, blisters, chafing, or chiropractor appointments? Being able to drink, eat whatever, and go out on Saturday nights? Bring it on! But I do have to admit, I did feel a bit down in the dumps
after finishing last year. There was so much buildup and I had devoted so much time to training that I just didn't know what to do after it was all done! (And of course, the thesis was not exactly something I looked forward to!) Well, I'll just have to keep myself busy somehow until the next training clinic in January!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home