Hoya hoya: Looking at life anew

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Another milestone


Gimme some of dat cake!!

Last week I turned the big three-oh. Everyone says it's just a number (everyone who is over 30 that is!), but it's a pretty big number, and I can't help but take a step back and look at how my life has been so far.

I certainly never planned to be living with my family, still finishing school! When I was younger, I always had a pretty good idea what I was going to be when I "grew up". Guess you can never really plan for the future...you never know where life will take you! I have absolutely no regrets though. Sometimes I do wish I hadn't gotten so serious so early in life...serious about school, serious about relationships. I've gone and done it all ass-backwards: grad school and living with a serious boyfriend, and then travelling the world and having fun! Which is why I'm still in school! OK, so I'm a little behind! Lots of people my age are going through the same thing though...this is what happens when the world has been opened up to you through the Internet and airplanes...too many choices.

I'm glad I've decided to come home. Living abroad is great because you can be whoever you want; there aren't any expectations of how you should behave, any memories of your past behaviour. You're almost more free to be yourself because no one knows you. You can re-invent yourself, but in doing so, it's pretty easy to forget who you were and where you came from. Granted, for some people, that's a good thing! But I think it's important to reconciliate the two. I may have picked up a lot of Japanese habits - even people in India were noticing those little quirks - but I can't forget that I'm Chinese and I'm Canadian (cue Molson beer commercial with a bunch of guys in baseball caps watching the hockey in the pub).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home