Hoya hoya: Looking at life anew

Friday, September 09, 2005

Chillin' out in Chiang Mai

Have decided that the best way to beat the I-miss-India blues is by getting off my duff and to keep busy. I begin each day by going to a yoga class - a really nice way to start the day. Then I explore a bit. Yesterday I wandered into a wat (a Buddhist temple) and had a three-hour chat with one of the monks there. Everyday they have "monk chat", where you can learn about Buddhism and he can practise his English. The monk I talked to even taught me how to bargain in Thai! Today I rented a bicycle and braved the heavy traffic. It was fun to explore on a bike, instead of always having to wave down a tuk tuk. I had lunch at a Buddhist vegetarian place where you have to wash your own dishes. Even the king is not exempt - above the sinks there's a huge, framed picture of him, smiling and washing out his bowl! Then I rode out to one of the forest wats...really nice to escape the city for a while and listen to the monks chanting among the trees.

Chiang Mai is a really nice place...good shopping in the bazaars, and all the conveniences of a city, but it still has a small-town feel. The people are really friendly as well. The other day I got lost going back to my guesthouse and ended up hopping on the back of some guy's scooter (I seem to have gotten into the habit of getting on bikes of men I hardly know!) I know that isn't exactly the smartest thing to do, and believe me, I probably wouldn't do the same in Canada, but I was pretty sure he was a good guy.

I was going to go to Pai, but I heard there's lots of flooding there at the moment, so I think I'm just gonna stay put here. Besides, I finally ended up seeing the doctor about the burn on my leg, and I have to go back to the hopsital everyday so they can change the dressing. (The nurses know me by name now!) There's lots to see and do here, so I think the next few days will fly by and I'll be back in Canada before I know it.


2 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Father Dave said...

I love your work! And I think you'll love our speed reading resources too. Do drop by and take a look.

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the trip home! How did you burn your leg? I must have missed that entry. I hope that you're okay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home