Hoya hoya: Looking at life anew

Monday, August 29, 2005

Sun burn-out

Day eight on the beach, and we're getting a little bored. There's only so much tanning and swimming and frisbee you can do! I know, I know, what a hard life. Don't get me wrong...the weather has been gorgeous. We are so lucky! But it's low season right now, and not much is open. We really wanted to do yoga but aside from a few restaurants and shops selling all the same sarongs, blankets and "handicraft crap", there isn't much here!

This weekend, we met up with Jessie, who was my roommate when I first arrived in Tokyo, and her friend last weekend and we headed to the beach in Baga. Within minutes of laying down our sarongs, there were about 50 men around us, staring and secretly trying to take photos of us! I'm glad we were staying in Vagator. Vagator was really laid-back; we really liked it there...friendly people and good organic food. In the season, it is supposed to be quite a party place, but it's pretty quiet now. We tried to find this party, and ended up in the middle of rice paddies on some dark dirt road with scary rabid dogs and dodgy men offering us cocaine and Ecstasy! We never did find it, but we heard from our local bartender the next morning that it was pretty fun.

Now Aggie and I have moved to Benaulim, in southern Goa, but it's not as good. The beach has white sand and swimming's good - so different from the black sands and rocky beach of Vagator. But the crowd here is older and less fun. Even though it's a bit more developed - timeshares and big hotels - there isn't much to do here. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm ready to go back to the city, even crazy Mumbai (Bombay)! Still, there is some excitement here...last night we ate at some little place, and while we were waiting for our 50-cent thali dinners, a mouse ran under the table! And this morning, between ordering my coffee and finishing my porridge, the waiter asked to be my "secret friend" and said he wanted to come to Canada with me! And if that wasn't enough, as we were walking along the beach, we saw a dead body!!! What am I going to do when I go home...Canada will seem so boring!!

1 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG - a dead body?! Please be careful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home