Hoya hoya: Looking at life anew

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Kidnapped by the hockey gods

It's that time of the year...the NHL playoffs. After missing it for three years, I am especially excited that the Canadiens are in it this time round. I know, I know, I should support the Canucks, and I do, but they're not in it this year. I've always been a Habs fan, so don't give me any grief!! I always get mocked for being one, but you don't know any better when you're a kid, and I'm a loyal fan. So these days I'm glued to the telly, watching games. My already dismal social life has gotten even worse! Everything is on hold. I almost (but not really) wish the Habs would get knocked out so that my life can continue. Things are pretty quiet at the moment, but a few weeks back, I did go to this beer tasting event at the university. I imagined a wide variety of microbrews and good patio fun...instead I was faced with a pretty dismal selection of mostly mass produced beer (c'mon...Corona at a beer tasting??) and a bunch of drunk 19-year-olds looking to score. This coaster about sums it up:





(Interesting to note that there wasn't an equivalent coaster for men to give to women.)
Still, I managed to score quite a few free samples. Here's how:
1) Keep your ticket in you pocket at all times (out of sight, out of mind)
2) Maintain eye contact with the bartender
3) Engage in light chit-chat
4) Thank him politely with a big smile, and walk away. Don't look guilty!
What also works is tagging along with someone who is buying beer when you've run out of tickets. When the bartender asks for your order, tell him your predicament and you might get a sample on the house. See how far it gets you!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home