Hoya hoya: Looking at life anew

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Wow.

Woke up this morning, opened up my e-mail and received a bit of a shock. While I was travelling in India, I had hit it off with this guy, and we had stayed in touch through phone calls and e-mails. While neither of us expected our relationship to continue, we were fond of each other, and I was happy to maintain a friendship with him. Well, this morning, after not hearing from him for a month, he tells me he's in Finland. With his ex-girlfriend. Who just gave birth to their baby daughter. WTF indeed.

I'm still reeling from the news. He told me about this girl before, but I had no idea that she was pregnant. Maybe he didn't either, and that's why I'm only finding out now. I don't want to think that he knew all along and hid it away from me. After all, he shared some really personal things with me, so why wouldn't he tell me that? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I feel like the butt of a very bad joke.

I guess travel romances are always best left behind. I remember seeing this guy I had met in Europe years after, and it was pretty weird and disappointing. I really didn't want to see him again because what we had was perfect in its own way and I didn't want to spoil the memory of it. To me, that was a wonderful, romantic time in the hills of Austria and the sunshine of Italy. To bring it into the wet reality of Victoria, well, it ruined things a bit. Guess I should've remembered that this time round and left it well alone.

I need a good vacation...and a stiff drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home