Hoya hoya: Looking at life anew

Monday, March 14, 2005

Happy White Day!

March 14th is officially "White Day" in Japan. Exactly a month before, on Valentine's Day, women make or buy sweets for their friends, male co-workers, love interests, etc. On February 13th, the shops are full of women buying giri choko ("obligation" chocolates). White Day is a day when men return the favour.

It's a good idea in theory...men have a chance to return those "oh-s***-I-wasn't- expecting-this-from-her!" presents. However, men are men, and they forget. A month ago, the teachers' room was full of cookies, chocolates, and homemade goodies. And today? Nada! They should've made it the other way around... women probably wouldn't forget as easily!

On this topic...I have a new love! My new ipod photo! What a gadget junkie I'm turning out to be. That's what happens when you live in Japan for too long...


1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the introduction to Japanese culture; I'd never heard of this holiday. Also glad to hear that you figured out who I am ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home